Google+ PLANET FOOT 7: Di Maria: "I will fight to death with Real Madrid."

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Di Maria: "I will fight to death with Real Madrid."

As Real Madrid splashed record fee of 100 million Euros for Spurs star Gareth Bale, they had to sell a few to somewhat balance the books.

Gonzalo Higuain left Los Blancos for Italian club Napoli. On the other hand Mesut Ozil decided to depart for Arsenal.

However, there was another player who was heavily linked elsewhere and summit clubs were also interested in him but he opted to stay, Di Maria.

The Argentina international was linked with a move away from the Santiago Bernabeu in the off-season following the appointment of Carlo Ancelotti as the club's new head coach.

English outfit Arsenal were credited with a serious interest in the player, whilst the Spanish club carried out their public pursuit of then-Tottenham winger Gareth Bale.

However, Di Maria ultimately decided to stay with the Spanish giants, despite the big-money capture of Bale, and is fully prepared to fight it out with the Welshman for a first-team berth.

He told Rock and Pop Radio: "I decided to stay, despite the players that were coming to the club.

"I knew that I was going through a great period and that I had the skills to play here.

"I talked to Pocho (Ezequiel Lavezzi) and he asked me: 'Do you really desire to go away from there?'

"Coach Carlo Ancelotti told me that whoever is better will play. I think that Bale wasn't training in Tottenham so I guess I have a head begin."

Meanwhile, Di Maria has his opinion upon Higuain's decision to depart Madrid for Napoli in the off-season.

He added: "Higuain had to stand a lot of things. Many times, the media would criticise him badly.

"That might have influenced his decision of leaving Real Madrid."

No comments:

Post a Comment